Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Holidaze



The past week has been a little more play than work. Just the way I like it! Playtime started with a trip to Madison, Wi. to visit our friends Frank & Peg. Along the way we had to stop in Black Earth, Wi. at the Shoe Box. You all know this wasn't a stop for me!




Fortunately we came out with only one pair of shoes. Whew! While in Madison we attended the Concert in the Square. A free concert series put on by the Madison Symphony Orchestra throughout the summer that is held on the lawn surrounding the state capitol building. Bring your blanket, something to eat, the libation of your choice, and sit back and enjoy the music. Even if you're not into Mozart or Bach it's a great experience just watching people.




Before we got out of town we made a few more stops. You guessed it. Three more pairs of shoes for my Princess! I must confess however, that I picked up a pair of biker shorts and a jock for myself. What a treat!


On Friday I was back at the helm of a boat. Yahoo! The M/V Perseverance. A 44' Cruisers Inc. which belongs to a friend of ours. It was a simple run of about 10 miles round trip for fuel but it sure felt good. Our return trip was delayed when we were stopped by the water patrol and told we would have to wait while an F-18 aircraft practiced for the July 3rd air show. Just my luck!

July 3rd arrived and found Pam & myself as guests on board the M/V Vagabond for the air show and fireworks which are held over the river just below Lock 11. Both displays were awesome since we were as close as the authority's would allow.


B-1 Bomber


F-18 Hornet


Chinook Helicopter


A-10 Warthog


P-51 Mustang & B-17 Bomber

There were several other planes including a Japanese Zero. A biplane and a couple of stunt planes as well as the Golden Knights parachute team from the U.S.Army. All in all it was a great show for our area considering the only other air show we get is the seasonal migration of the geese.

The 4th of July found us in Cedar Rapids, Ia. to celebrate my youngest son Addam's birthday. As the date would indicate, Addam is a real firecracker. Of course it doesn't help when my Dad starts telling stories of things he did in his younger days. And I wonder where Addam gets it!?!  Happy birthday Addam!                                                        


No comments:

Post a Comment