Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Gettin Ready

No we're not heading back to the boat yet. Still hot & humid in Florida. In fact it has been that way everyday down there since we left Tourist at River Forest Yachting Center. 89 to 95 with an afternoon T-Storm. Glad the ole girl is tucked inside a nice dry building. Can't wait to get back!
Meanwhile on the northern front Pam & I are getting ready to spend a week on the Upper Mississippi as guests onboard Vagabond. A 44 Sea Ray owned by our friends Kim & Lu. We have no specific destination in mind other than we're heading north. However, some talk has centered around the Harborview Cafe in Pepin, Wisconsin as well as possible shopping in Red Wing, Mn. Who knows how far we'll get? It's a boat trip and all the schedules are written in pencil with a big eraser close at hand.
In preparing for our adventure I thought I would surprise Pam with some new swim suits, so online I went. Found the site I wanted. Perused the collection and placed an order for three new suits. Expecting a confirmation e-mail I guarded the computer making sure that if Pam wanted to get online I was there to fire it up. Well a day went past with no e-mail so naturally I figured I messed something up while ordering and went back into the site and ordered three more suits. Wouldn't you know it. A few days later six new swimsuits showed up at our door! Pam was surprised. I was surprised. And the merchant was happy! Only one duplicate though considering I couldn't remember what I ordered the first time when placing the second order. Sorry Donnie. No thongs!
Watching TV the other night our concentration was interrupted when Pamic felt like she was being watched. A quick look around revealed the voyeur peeking in our sliding door.
 
Not to worry. All parties remain unharmed!
In my last post I mentioned that Pam had a birthday. What I didn't mention was that her sister Barb had hers four days later. To celebrate we decided to meet at our house for cocktails and then go out for dinner. The wine flowed freely, the food was great, and plenty of stories about growing up. A fun time for all.
Pam & Barb
At some point the conversation turned to biking and I mentioned that Pam & I have been trying to ride our bikes 3 to 4 times a week. Thinking that this is getting me in shape I assumed I was ready for more of a challenge and agreed to meet my brother-in-law Bill at his home for a ride in the country. (Notice Pam's not along) We took off from his house which is about a mile outside the city limits of Galena and headed for town. On the first slight grade my thighs were burning and I'm thinking about where I put my cell phone in case I have to call for a ride. Being the ex jock that I am I sucked it up and continued peddling. Up & down hills and into town. The ride through town from this direction was easy. My legs relaxed and my lungs stopped burning as we rode past my parents house and headed downhill for 7/10ths of a mile. A left turn at the bottom of the hill and to the country we went. Up, down, up, down we went all while I'm watching Bill peddle away from me. At one point he turned around and rode back down the hill to check on me. Somewhat humiliating I must say! We made it to our predetermined turn around point and other than feeling like I was going to puke I felt ok.
The ride back was a little easier until we hit the bottom of that 7/10ths of a mile hill. Back in the day I used to run up this hill as part of my jogging route. What happened to that guy? I made it up without getting off and walking and from there on the ride was good. 12.6 miles total of undulating northwest Illinois terrain. Not very far for the real riders but at least a start for me. Anyway. I'm a boater!

No comments:

Post a Comment