Monday, August 26, 2013

You Only Live Once (or maybe I'm just nuts?)

Last summer while we were cruising the Chesapeake I got word that my daughter and her family were participating in a 3 mile run which included some obstacles and a little mud. Silly me, I thought it sounded like fun and informed her that if they did it again to let me know. Fast forward to this spring and damn if she didn't remember! Since we were planning on spending the summer at home my hands were tied. I couldn't back out. After all. I had all spring and summer to get in shape!
Well somehow time got away from me and all of a sudden it was showtime. Yikes!
The sign pretty well sums it up.

We traveled to a rural setting somewhere west of Des Moines, Iowa and followed the cloud of dust down country roads to a farm pasture parking lot. The place was packed and it was only 9 a.m.! I'm not the only crazy! We filled out the hold harmless forms and got registered. Our wave was set to take off at 10:30.

Immediately Pam wasn't liking the setting. It was hot (mid 80's), dusty, and she didn't have the right shoes on! But she sucked it up and made it through. What a trooper. No she wasn't participating, just observing.

We walked around the grounds and people watched before our time came. Fun in itself since people were encouraged to wear costumes or dress in a manner that you don't normally see on the street.

Men in Kilts!

Human Smurfs?

Luke pounding the punching bag.

Taking one last potty break.

Then it was time to head to the start.
 Our before picture.

Waiting in the chute. A wave went out every 30 minutes from 9a.m. to 3p.m.

The flames shot up and we were off.

We ran for the first part until we were out of sight and then followed the lead of others and began to walk. The terrain was full of ruts so every step had to be planned. We climbed up hills and down. Across fields and through woods. Some people passed us and we passed a few. I thought the first water stop would never come! Finally we reached it. My thighs were on fire and I was gasping for breath making it hard to drink the water. What have I gotten myself into?
Just beyond I could see the first of the obstacles. It didn't look too bad. Climb up a 7' wall and down the other side. What I couldn't see was the barbed wire beyond the wall that we had to crawl under then back over another shorter wall, then crawl, then over, and finally out! The course continued with people still running past us only to be caught again as we went up a hill. Kinda like the tortoise and the hare.

Obstacles of various types were interspersed around the course. None of which were of boot camp intensity but for a softy like me it was more than enough. I must confess I opted out of one which required climbing up  and over a 20' A frame structure with the aid of a rope.

We climbed walls, cargo nets, through tires and ditches, over mounds of dirt, across a 20' long beam which was 10' in the air over water, through fire, and finally crawl through a muddy pit under barbed wire for about 200' before the finish.
 Contemplating the beam.

 Through the fire.

 Through the mud.

I'm the orange speck followed by Doug and Angela.

 I survived!

 Our "after" picture.

Off to the shower.

The shower was a crop sprayer.

After the shower. Still not clean but happy to be done!

The event is called Warrior Dash. Check it our at (www.warriordash.com) for better pictures of some of the obstacles. Part of the proceeds go to the St. Jude's Children's organization and our shoes are cleaned up and sent to needy people around the world.

I'm happy to report that Pam survived with only dusty feet and none of the aches and pains that the rest of us are still feeling!

Would I do it again??? Why not? You only go around once!

1 comment:

  1. Silly dad, you said you'd do it again.....in writing!! We'll hold you to that! :-)

    ReplyDelete