Thursday, September 29, 2011

Hangin Out in Lake Barkley

9/25/11 Sunday     Today started with my anchor alarm going off. Seems the wind had shifted and we had swung around the anchor causing it to pop out of the bottom. It reset itself but we were now too close to shore for comfort. Time to move.
The first order of business was to untie Coconuts from us since we were rafted together and then raise our anchor and move back towards the center of Nickell Bay. Coconuts decided to head over to Green Turtle Bay for a pumpout since we were moving anyway.  We reset the anchor and closed up Tourist since it was beginning to rain.  By the time Coconuts got back it was an all out downpour and they decided to anchor on their own rather than have all of us get wet. The rain continued throughout the afternoon and into the night. No tanning today! We did have popcorn though!

Popcorn Princess

9/26/11 Monday     Good news. We stayed in place all night and awoke to a beautiful clear sky! We spent a lazy morning on Tourist before saying so long to Coconuts who was headed up the Cumberland to Nashville and a quick trip home from there.
For a little while now we have been having issues with our fresh water system. The pressure has been very inconsistent and was now flowing like a dried up stream. Hmmm! I don't think I'll be able to convince Pam to bathe in the lake. What now?
I called Green Turtle Bay to see if we could get a slip which would enable us to hook up to dockside water. Their response was "Sorry. We are all filled up until Friday". All of the Looper's who were held up by weather on Lake Michigan were arriving in packs and since GTB is the first marina out of Barkley Lock it gets the traffic. Additionally it is a nice spot and one of our favorites.

Out comes Quimby's cruising directory. I new of Kentucky Dam Marina a few miles away but thought I'd see what else was available. Buzzard Rock Resort and Marina (http://www.buzzardrock.com/)  popped up about 7 miles from our location. A call to them and a slip we had. .65 per foot including water & electric. A laundry facility and a loaner car. What more can you ask for? We're on our way!

Upon our arrival at Buzzard Rock we took on fuel which was .21 per gallon cheaper than at Green Turtle Bay. A nice savings. Even better was that we have the whole marina to ourselves. Not one other transient in the place. That means no laundry wars for Pam and access to the courtesy car when we want it. They also have a bar/restaurant that is now only open on week-ends which they bill as the only wet spot between the lakes since all other marinas are dry.
Empty Transient Dock.

Marina Bar/Restaurant/Office @ Buzzard Rock

9/27/11 Tuesday     Another sunny day at Buzzard Rock. But even with the abundant sunshine it's a day I've been dreading for the past few weeks. It's time to change the seawater impellers on the main engines. That means I become Gumby and wedge myself in between the fuel tank and engine in order to get to the port engine impeller. The picture below shows the exhaust disconnected so I can get back out.

Same picture as last time I did this job.

While I was in Gumby form I changed all of the engine zincs in preparation for heading back into salt water. By the end of the day I was ready for a shower. A drink. And 3 ibuprofen for my sore body!

9/28/11 Wednesday & 9/29/11 Thursday     What do you do while waiting for the water pumps to arrive via FedEx? Get your hair cut. Snoop around the hardware store, and just hang out in Eddyville, Ky. You can't beat fun for a good time! That pretty well sums up our activities for Wednesday. The marina is still all ours so we haven't had to fight for the courtesy car.
Eddyville, Ky. Hardware & Farm Supply.

Let's Roll Salon & Day Spa (Mullet's are their specialty!)

Thursday we took the courtesy car in to Paducah for supplies and lunch. Since most of the area we are headed into is dry we stocked up on alcohol. Made a visit to Wally World and a stop at Sam's Club. This is where I realized that I sometimes suffer from Cranial Rectal Inversion. I was strolling around killing time because Pam was listening to some guys sales pitch so she could get a free knife when I stumbled onto the motor oil section. OK. I've been in Sam's before and knew they had oil but have never considered it as a source when I needed it for an oil change on Tourist. With each engine taking 8 gallons I need this stuff in bulk. Guess who sells in bulk? Duh! Guess where I'm going next time I change oil? And oh by the way. Pam got the knife!

C.R.I. Relief

Back at Buzzard Rock I had to get a picture of my Princess and the Mascot.

Princess Pam, The Buzzard, & Tourist in the background.

Tomorrow we leave Buzzard Rock and head over to Green Turtle Bay for a night to pick up arriving guests. I can't begin to describe what a pleasant surprise Buzzard Rock and the staff have been. If we're ever back in the area this will be a must stop!

No comments:

Post a Comment