Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Solomons

9/3/12 Monday (Labor Day)     A little rain last night but not anywhere close to what the forecast led us to believe. Seems that every time I look at it it changes. Go figure!

Congratulations to Marc & Michelle on Marc's Ark who today crossed their wake on the Great Loop at Grafton, Illinois. Way to go kids!
Speaking of the Loop we saw this 34' Beneteau called The Greatest Loop come through the harbor. The boat started the loop on May 15, 2012 from Annapolis and is being cruised as a promotional tour to show off the boat. It's gathered publicity for them in the trade magazines which is what they wanted but as far as enjoying the loop I'm not sure it was anything more than a boat ride.
Check it out at (www.thegreatestloop.com)

So today in spite of the forecast we decided to drop the dink in the water and go for a ride. First stop was across the creek to the Calvert Marine Museum (www.calvertmarinemuseum.com). We tied off at their dinghy dock and snuck in the back door. It's an interesting museum largely dedicated to the maritime history of the Chesapeake area. There are different displays of live inhabitants of the bay area including rays, otters, crabs, and a variety of fish. Also a small display of outboard motors. Not as large as the display in Clayton, NY. but fun to look at.
Our neighbors when I was a kid, had an old Johnson like the one in the lower right of the picture. My first motor was a 3 hp Evinrude of the same vintage.
Other displays included a restored Cruis Along boat which was manufactured in Solomons.
Cruis Along

Inside were also displays about the oyster and crabbing industry and it's evolution over the years. Outside a display of old wooden boats used on the bay. A wood boat restoration shop and a couple of my favorites.
One was the Wm. B. Tennison, a bay Buy Boat built in 1899 and still in use by the museum.
Wm. B. Tennison

The other was the Drum Pt. Lighthouse. A screwpile lighthouse restored on the grounds of the museum. There used to be several of these types of lighthouses throughout the bay but as with anything they were gradually replaced by less costly structures. They got their name because the pilings had a threaded end that was screwed into the bottom of the bay.
Drum Pt. Lighthouse

From the museum we moved and had a great lunch at CD Cafe and then motored around the many marinas of the Solomons area. Once again it hit us just how small the cruising community is as we saw a sailboat that we had seen in the Exumas a few years ago and a trawler that was in Legacy this past winter.
M/V Changer last seen in Ft. Myers.

Back to Tourist for a nap before having our traditional on board Holiday meal of Cornish Hens. Fantastic as always! I think I married the best cook in the world. (And I'm starting to show it!)

9/4/12 Tuesday     Our Anniversary! Let's see. How many years? I know Pam is going to grill me on this one. I got it! Thirteen! Seems like just yesterday we tied the knot. It's been so good that the time has just flown by. How lucky am I that I found someone who is willing to put up with my gypsy ways!

An old picture. We're much younger looking now!

We(I) spent the day being lazy. I actually read a book! Pam did laundry. We dined on what we call Frank's steaks for our anniversary dinner. Thanks to all who called or texted us on our happy day.

9/5/12 Wednesday     Big day today. After prepping for the day we strolled up to the office to borrow the loaner car so we could replenish our food supply. What a loaner. A beautiful black Mercedes! No A/C and the drivers window doesn't work! Hey but it runs and gets us there and back.
Pam next to our courtesy car.

The Food Lion grocery is just on the other side of Back Creek. Not far but too far to walk with groceries.
Solomons Food Lion Grocery.

While Pam shopped I found a place to get my hair cut. This time it turned out good. I still have hair on my head! I also found a liquor store to re-supply the wine cabinet. Hmmm. I wonder who drinks that?

Tonight I think we'll watch the Green Mile in honor of Michael Clarke Duncan (John Coffey) who just passed away.


1 comment: