Thursday, November 3, 2016

Other Happennings (Fun and not so fun)

One of the events that kept us from getting one more week-end on Tourist was my 45th year class reunion. I haven't been to a reunion since my 25th so I wasn't sure I'd recognize any of my classmates. In most cases it took me only a few seconds to identify them without looking at name tags.



Pam & I had a great time catching up with everyone. Even our sophomore basketball coach showed up. Turns out our sophomore team was the only undefeated team he coached in his storied career which includes several Wisconsin State championships and the designation as the winningest coach in Wisconsin High School history.

Coach Jerry Petitgoue and a few former players.

Our reunion was held at a funky place out in the hills of Jo Daviess County known as Council Hill Station. Beverages are pretty much on an honor system. Help yourself and pay as you go. Most of our event took place in the old milking barn converted to a reception hall.

Of course once the band started playing Pam drug me out on the dance floor to prove once again that I have no rhythm.

Class of 71 minus a few. 
 
The day of the class reunion also marked the start of my dietary watch for my Monday colonoscopy. Soft foods then Sunday I had to drink the 55 gallons of tasty jungle juice and keep close to the head.
 
 OK. So maybe it wasn't 55 gallons.
 
Instruction pamphlet.
 
The last time I had this procedure done they put me out. I slept for 4 hours and didn't remember a thing about it. This time I was awake and watched the whole operation on a video monitor. Only once did I feel slightly uncomfortable when I thought he had the probe near my throat.
 
I watched as he snipped off 5 pollops which turned out to be benign. That's good news however it means that I'm no longer a perfect asshole!
 
On the Tourist front we started the winterization process by taking a short cruise to fill up the fuel tank and warm the engines for an oil change.
 
 
The marina is popping boats out like popcorn.

The American Queen at Dubuque.

 The American Queen at Dubuque. The Queen had been held hostage by the high water and just recently headed back downstream.
 
Arriving back at the marina we hit the pump-out dock before going to our slip. Once secured I headed to the engine room while Pam started separating items that may freeze from those that wouldn't. Arrrgh! Are we really doing this?
 

3 comments:

  1. I had had my first Colonoscopy "52 Yrs old" and they did remove 4 2mm +/- Polyps-- Glad I had it done.. No big Deal but the Prep..
    About 8/10 Hours after I got home I started to Bleed from "You Know Were"-- My wife had gone to bed and I didn't tell her about it.. The Bleeding continued on and off "Luckily The Bathroom Was Near" and weakness started coming over me-- About 3 am I needed to get to the Bathroom again.. I collapsed "Luckily on The Hard Wood Floor-- Not The Oriental Carpet" I knew I was Bleeding but couldn't move.. About 10/15? Mins. later I was able to crawl to the Bathroom and clean up the best I could and put a towel over the Blood on the floor were I had collapsed-- I crawled back to the couch were I had already had a old comforter down and went to sleep.. In the morning my wife saw the Blood on the floor and freaked out-- She though I had Bled to death.. I don't know how much was on the floor-- It must of been a lot..

    I could tell you the rest of the story if you would like.. Anemia-- Iron Infusions and I'm still not back to my fairly Athletic self.. The "Procedure" was on 06/07.. Glad you are well-- I have enjoyed following Tourist..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS. The Bleeding stopped after I crawled back to the couch.. Good thing as I Probably didn't have much Blood left to Bleed out..

      Delete
  2. Wow! I've heard a few colonoscopy related stories but you win the prize. Glad to hear that you're recovering from what should have been a fairly routine procedure. Your poor wife must have thought she came across a scene from Forensic Files!

    ReplyDelete