Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Is It Time To Leave Yet?

Life has slowed way down since we arrived back home from our Nova Scotia adventure. So much so that I have taken up trapping as a hobby. Well, it started out as a hobby. It quickly became a mission. I'm talking about all out war on the moles that have invaded our yard!

Step 1 was to get the proper equipment. I started out with a trip to the local hardware store where I purchased a box of Motomco Mole Killer worms. Supposedly you drop these worms into the path of the mole with the thought (hope) being that they eat them and die! They may work for one mole but who has just one mole?

Step 2 was to get out the trusty old mole trap. You know the spring loaded kind that when tripped sends six pointed spears down through the mole pinning him to the ground until he gasps his last breath. Well moles are smart. They simply burrow around the trap and keep going. The only one speared is me while trying to set up the trap!

Step 3 on the advice of my neighbor, was to spread a fertilizer type substance across the lawn that kills the grub worms that the moles feed on. He says he hasn't had a mole all year since treating his lawn. OK. Back to the hardware store. Purchase. Apply. Wait.

WMD's (weapons of mole destruction)
Turns out waiting is the hard part for me. Every morning I get up and look out over the yard to see if any new mole trails have appeared overnight then go out and stamp them down. While doing my stamp dance in the yard one morning I noticed the ground moving at the end of a mole trail. Ah Ha! My mind races. Do I go back into the house and put on my camouflage? Do I get the gun? Where's that old fish spear I had when I was a kid? I have to act fast! Then it hits me. The trap with six pointed spears. Like lightning I spring across the yard and pull it out of the ground setting it off as I pull. Now I slowly work my way back to the spot where I saw the ground moving. Good! He's still working.  I align myself at the proper angle. Get a firm two handed grip on the trap and lunge at the spot where he's working. The ground stops moving as the points penetrate whatever is beneath it. Did I get him? For good measure I'll let the trap stay here for a few hours.

Demonstration photo of proper spearing technique.
Well my spearing was successful! One down. Many to go! Now I have the solution, although Pam thinks I'm obsessed.

Is it time to leave yet? I think I hear Tourist calling.

No comments:

Post a Comment